Friday, September 11, 2009

Reading Genesis 1 Roundup

Since I haven't had much time for blogging lately, I've been marking posts in Google Reader to return to later. I have currently marked many posts dealing with creation and reading Genesis, especially Genesis 1.

James McGrath has a lengthy review series underway on John Walton's book, The Lost World of Genesis One (which I have and plan to read but now may or may not review after James' thorough treatment). Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, and Part 9.

Meanwhile, Chris Brady has begun a series on reading Genesis 1 that I've enjoyed but haven't had time to write about in depth.

Where to begin in The Beginning?

Genesis 1 - Not a guide on how to create your own cosmos

Genesis 1 - Order out of chaos

Genesis 1- Reading indeductively

Genesis 1 - Creating a biblical context

John Hobbins has also interacted with Chris's series in a number of posts. So I have a lot of reading to catch up on, I've read most of Chris's series and have enjoyed getting his perspective. I like the title of his second post emphasizing that Genesis 1 is not a field manual on how to create the world. (For that you need the unfortunately now lost Jewish mystical text, the Sefer Yetzirah or Book of Creation.)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the links and summary Doug. I was going to compile them myself but you saved me the effort! ;-)

    ReplyDelete